History, Mystery and Myth of Jefferson County Colorado and West
Add Your Stories Today!
Click for More Pictures


Type of Story

Communitiy Stories
Book/Magazine


Click for More Pictures

Mother Cabrini Shrine
.
Source:.JeffcoWest Staff Writer Date Posted:10/27/2017 Time Posted:..9:16:14 AM.
Click Email Address:info@jeffcowest.com.....Other Email Address:info@jeffcowest.com
No Profile
Yes Web Site
No Video
No Survey
No Attachment
Reading Options:
YES..Click for English:
Yes..Click for Spanish:

Bookmark and Share

Map
: Narrated By: Jimmy The Computer---Story Rating.3
No Video
Featured Story:..Mother Cabrini Shrine
Mother Cabrini Shrine is a shrine to Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini, known as Mother Cabrini, located in Golden, Colorado, United States.

The shrine site includes the Stone House, listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the Queen of Heaven Orphanage Summer Camp, a 22 feet (6.7 m) statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus designed by Maurice Loriaux, and a convent of the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the order founded by Mother Cabrini.

Mother Cabrini loved the mountains of Colorado. The foothills west of Denver held a special attraction for her. During her journeys in 1902 to visit the Italian workers and their families in the Clear Creek, Argentine, and South Park mining districts, Frances X. Cabrini discovered a property on the east slope of Lookout Mountain owned by the town of Golden. No reliable source of water was known to exist on the property at that time, although there were two fine barns and a springhouse built in the 1890s. In 1909 -1910, she negotiated the purchase of this property as a summer camp for her charges at the Queen of Heaven Orphanage in Denver, CO. A farming operation, with poultry, other livestock and dairy cows, was established and maintained by three of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart who set up living quarters in the loft of the larger barn. During the summer months, groups of about twenty girls, according to age, would spend several weeks at the summer camp. They enjoyed the freedom of the outdoors and recreational activities in addition to tending the animals and performing farm chores.

The property became a pilgrimage site in 1938 following Mother Cabrini's beatification. The property was established as a shrine in 1946, the year she was canonized. In 1954, a 22 feet (6.7 m) statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, designed by Maurice Loriaux and mounted on an 11 feet (3.4 m) base was erected at the highest point of the site. A 373-step stairway was placed, following the path Mother Cabrini took to the top of the mountain, and is taken by pilgrims today.

The summer camp closed in 1967 and the Stone House was used as a convent until a permanent convent building was completed in 1970. Today, the convent contains a chapel, meeting rooms, a gift shop, housing for the resident Sisters, and overnight accommodations for visitors.
Return To Top
Story Count: 1986..
Other Linked Information:
Bookmark and Share
Comments:
1.
2.
3.
4.


Advertisement
Click on business card for link to web site, video and or information.